Daily Job Functions to Achieve Goals:
- Perform daily operation of the metallographic lab and coordinate with Thread Roll Inspector, Thread Roll Manager and operators any testing related reports or records that may be needed.
- Perform all designated tasks needed for the preparation and examination of micro/macro test specimens to ensure compliance with Superior Thread Rolling appropriate Standard Operating Procedures, Work Instructions and customer related specifications. Includes but not limited to the following:
- Cut metal part samples on abrasive saw
- Mount cross-section in phenolic materials using the mounting machine
- Grind and polish mounts with the lab equipment
- Etch mounts with acids and,
- Inspect for defects using microscope.
- Read, understand and interpret specifications for destructive testing.
- Maintain all metallographic records to adequately support the metallographic examinations in accordance with the appropriate procedure. (Must be competent using computer and in MS Excel).
- Report labor through computerized ERP system using travelers when working direct labor jobs and indirect codes when working QA overhead duties.
- Prepare metallographic lab requisitions for any equipment and supplies that are needed to maintain acceptable levels of quality and efficiency.
- Maintain Met Lab Equipment maintenance log books and perform PM’s as required.
- Troubleshoot metallographic equipment problems and solve discrepancies immediately and/or report problems to the maintenance Manager to keep machines running effectively.
- Organize and maintain the met lab at a level compliant to 6S principals.
- Assist in inspection areas, Identification and Packaging, Shipping, when needed.
- Train co-workers in areas of Met Lab operations.
- Collaborate with thread roll operators and Lead Inspector to resolve thread roll quality issues.
- May be required to operate company forklift.
The employee may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Position Specific Skills
Marginal/ Less Essential Job Functions:
Participate in on-going cross-training to ensure a quality diverse work force.Ensure shop cleanliness in all QA department area’s
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:Required
- High School Diploma
- Between 3 to 7 years of trade school, vocational education, Quality control work experience, and/or equivalent Metallurgical Inspection experience.
- Must be familiar with team building and team concepts.
- Must be flexible and capable of working in a very fast paced, fluid environment.
- Proficient in reading and interpreting industry process specification requirements.
- Proficient in MS Outlook & Excel software applications
Licenses Required: None
Near acuity and accommodation are required for reading machine dial gauges, blueprints, and precision measuring instruments used in the inspection of parts.
Ability to monitor machine sounds to identify and diagnose changes in order to take appropriate action.
Normally works in a laboratory environment. Occasionally, the employee is subject to:
- High noise levels from operating machines
- Physical hazards from moving equipment and machine parts
- Breathing fumes dust and mist
- Exposure to oils, etchants and cutting fluid
Experience and Education
Physical Demands – General Activities
|Climbing / Balancing||X|
|Reaching with arms and hands||X|
|Stooping / Kneeling / Crouching / Crawling||X|
|Feeling / Touching||X|
|Vision – close, peripheral, depth, ability to adjust focus|
Physical Demands – General Activities
|Lifting / Moving up to 10 lbs||X|
|Lifting / Moving up to 25 lbs||X|
|Lifting / Moving up to 50 lbs||X|
|Lifting / Moving up to 75 lbs|